Khi làm IELTS Writing Part 2 dạng bài về Advantages/disadvantages, đôi lúc bạn sẽ cần phải diễn đạt những lợi ích (advantages) lớn hơn hoặc nhiều hơn so với tác hại (disadvantages). Thường trong đề sẽ luôn có sẵn câu hỏi “Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages”. Ví dụ:
- Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary schools rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
- More and more students are choosing to study at colleges and universities in foreign countries. Do the benefits of studying abroad outweigh the drawbacks?
Để tránh lặp lại từ “outweigh” chúng ta có thể sử dụng một số cách diễn đạt thay thế sau:
- be less significant in comparison with
- pale in comparison with
- Although there are many positive effects of doing extreme sports, it seems to me that these advantages are overshadowed by the drawbacks.
- I would therefore argue that although there are disadvantages of remote working, they are eclipsed by the advantages.
- I strongly believe that the advantages of teaching foreign languages at early ages are less significant in comparison with the disadvantages.
- The advantages of this trend pale in comparison with the disadvantage it brings.